Typewriter close up shot

About Simplified Tax & Accounting

Simplified Tax and Accounting has been building professional friendships over tax returns for over 75 years.

As World War II ended in 1945, Charles Hosbein entered the bookkeeping business from his home on South Cedar Street in Lansing, Michigan. Records show that Hosbein operated as a divisional office of Simplified Tax Records, Inc., a New York business dedicated to providing bookkeeping and tax record systems for business use. Hosbein held exclusive rights to the Simplified name for the Lansing area.

In 1950, Fred and Kathryn Vorn bought the business known as "Simplified Tax Records Company" from Hosbein. In 1955, prompted by the new I-496 overpass, the company moved out of their 3022 South Cedar Street location. Vorn constructed a new building at 4305 South Cedar Street. From 1955 to 1965, Simplified experienced phenomenal growth! Simplified was known as the largest locally owned bookkeeping and tax service.

Robert (Bob) Jacoby purchased and incorporated “Simplified Bookkeeping & Tax Service, Inc” in mid-1965. The company continued to expand, offering services to 880 business accounts as of May 1968. From her distinctive pink desk and file cabinet, Mrs. Irma Jacoby effectively managed 70 or so employees at Simplified during these years. Also in 1965, an addition doubled the size of the existing building and added a separate tax office entrance to the lower level.

Donald Burke, a CPA from Grand Rapids, Michigan, purchased the majority interest in the company in 1983 from Bob Jacoby, and operated the company with his wife, Janet, until his untimely death in November 1989. His brief tenure included establishment of a separate CPA practice, accommodating needs of clients and employees, and the opening of an Owosso location.

Judith M. Stegman, CPA, purchased the majority interest in Simplified from the Estate of Donald J. Burke in 1989. During her years of ownership, she proceeded to update the building with the wiring and cabling demanded by the ongoing computer revolution. In 1999, she added a new front entrance to the building and completed the process of buying out the interests of minority shareholders who had originally invested in the company in 1965.

A timeline history of Simplified Tax. 1945 Mr. Charles Hosbein entered the bookkeeping business from his home on South Cedar Street in Lansing, Michigan. 1950 Vorn bought the business known as Simplified Tax Records Company from Mr. Hosbein. 1965 Mr. Robert Jacoby Purchased in mid-1965 by Mr. Robert Jacoby and continued to expand, offering services in May 1968 to 880 business accounts. 1983 Mr. Donald J. Burke, a CPA from Grand Rapids, Michigan, purchased the majority interest in the company in 1983 from Bob Jacoby. 1989 Judith M. Stegman, CPA, purchased the majority interest in Simplified from the Estate of Donald J. Burke in 1989. 2004 Ryan Lowe, a young CPA, returned to mid-Michigan from Chicago to purchase the company in January 2004 and joined forces with Nikali Luke. 2016 2016, Lesley Bergquist and Julie Young join the boys to add a little girl power to the enterprise!

Ryan Lowe, a young CPA, returned to mid-Michigan from Chicago to purchase the company in January 2004. A year later, his colleague from Price Waterhouse Cooper in Chicago, Nikali Luke, moved to Lansing with his wife Nora, and became an equity partner in the company. Ryan and Nikali completed an entire interior remodeling of the original 4305 South Cedar Street location in 2005.

The boys were busy from 2005 to 2015. The Corporate Office, now located at 1120 Keystone Ave in Lansing, Michigan, was gutted, rebuilt, and redesigned in 2013. Moving 58 years of files, equipment, and history to the new office was a challenge! After 16 hours and with an army of muscular movers, the new Corporate Office was up and running! Also under their leadership, Ryan and Nikali opened branch offices in Williamston (2006), DeWitt (2007), Delta Township (2010), Eaton Rapids (2011), and St. Johns (2015).

2016 was another year of big changes! In 2016, Lesley Bergquist joined the boys in equity ownership. Also in 2016, Simplified acquired the local East Lansing practice of Baron Tons, LLC located at 700 Abbot Road. Simplified stepped into the office of Baron Tons, LLC in an unfortunate situation as Barry Tons, sole owner, had passed away unexpectedly during tax season. After completing the 2016 tax season, the East Lansing office located at 700 Abbot was no longer available and Simplified moved the Baron Tons client base down the street to 2001 Abbot Road. Simplified shared the office building at 2001 Abbot Road with Gallagher Law Firm and with the additional space, began to grow and establish a unique presence in East Lansing.

The East Lansing office operated with great harmony between Simplified and Gallagher Law but Simplified began to outgrow the space during the 2017 and 2018 tax seasons. During 2019, a vacant building located at 6025 North Hagadorn was purchased, gutted, and redesigned. The building had plenty of space for all and the wonderful members of Gallagher Law decided to make the move as well! The new, modern East Lansing office was revealed in December 2018.

In 2021, Julie Young begins her first year as equity owner as well. Watch out boys, girls rule!

In front of the Simplified Tax building present day